Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our 200 year old Winter Home in Sparta Georgia

Front of the home 

 Back of the home


This is the home we purchased in Sparta Georgia.  It was built in 1820 and is 3100 sq feet with 6 main rooms each approx 20' x 20' kitchen, dining room, living room, main bathroom, master bedroom, spare room, each of these rooms has its own fireplace.  There is also a 1/2 bath downstairs and a walk in closet upstairs.  The ceilings are 12' tall throughout the home.  It has the original plank flooring throughout and plank ceilings as well.  The in the dining room is the original hand painted ceiling.  It sits on 1.4 acres of land.  Following are pictures of the interior before we moved in.
Historical Society description
The Berry House, with construction dating to before 1820, is one of Sparta's earliest houses. Historically known as the Richard Malcolm Johnston-Ann Berry House, the house's design is reminiscent of 19th-century New England homes. Originally built with a detached kitchen, the Berry House is now two rooms wide and one room deep with an el housing the kitchen and a bath.
The woodframe house features two large rooms, each roughly 20' x 20', on either side of the main entrance hall on the lower level and two large bedrooms on the second level. The dining room, with its original fireplace and painted ceiling stencil, flows into a new modern kitchen. Above the kitchen is a large bathroom with a showerstall and separate tub. Original interior features, such as wall planks and wooden mantels, have been well preserved and maintained.
The Berry House is in excellent condition and will require very few repairs and upgrades. Recent work on the house employed energy saving techniques and included system upgrades and the installation of insulation.


This is the floor plan
 2 pictures of the kitchen 
A picture of the dining room
A picture of the living room
 
A picture of the 1/2 bathroom
 2 pictures of the main bathroom
A picture of the master bedroom
A picture of the spare bedroom 
  A picture of the upstairs landing (outside the walk in closet)


I also posted a video of the home taken by a real estate agent prior to us purchasing it in March 2014.

1 comment:

  1. Hi there... I wanted to reach out to you because this is my ancestor home 5th generation back. My forefather was James Berry. His son William Berry is our 5th generation ancestor. I am not sure if you still own this home or would be willing to let my family and I come see it. My ancestor was Ann Berry, when she died James married her sister and they had children. That is how William came along. I really would like to see my family history as I am just now learning of where my family comes from. Please reach out to me. My email is lauraknowles1379@gmail.com

    I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you

    ReplyDelete